1/17/2007

A Thank You Dinner For A Friend

Lower in fat AND very good

Ground Turkey Lasagna with Wild Mushrooms
Mesclun Greens with Cassis Vinaigrette, goat cheese and sweet and spicy pecans
Toasted Garlic Baguette with fresh basil and olive oil


I should have taken a picture of this because it was really good and looked good too.
Next time.

Tonight I felt like experimenting and it was a challenge to make this lasagna taste really good with very little fat. I based this on Cook's Country magazines recipe for turkey lasagna. Basically its lean ground turkey slow cooked with lots of diced mushrooms, 2% milk to tenderize the meat, tomatoes, tomato paste, carrots, onions and garlic slow cooked for about an hour, and then layered with whole wheat no boil pasta sheets and topped with a white sauce/no butter and thickened with Parmesan cheese. I think this could easily be made vegetarian subbing the turkey with eggplant. I added lots more herbs, oregano, fresh basil and spiced it up. Also wild mushrooms gave it a lot of depth.

I will definately make this again...experimenting with the veggie version.

No comments: