1/23/2007

Chicken Curry

Although I love Indian food, I usually don't cook it. There are too many good Indian restaurants around and my kitchen is not equipped with all the spices, etc. that make Indian food so good. One exception is this chicken curry I make. It is very Americanized but tastes good. Based on the Silver Palate's recipe for chicken curry soup I slowly cook onions and diced chicken breasts in butter and mild Madras curry spice until chicken is firm. Then I add flour to the curried butter to make a roux. This is cooked for five minutes to bring out more of the curry spice and to cook the flour taste out of the roux. I then add chicken stock. When soup/stew is thickened to your preference finish with cream and fresh vegetables such as thinly sliced zucchini, shredded carrots and peas. A few more minutes to cook the zucchini and carrots and its done. Served with brown rice it makes a very complete meal.It could also be made hotter with the addition of dried hot peppers. I think this could be made very successfully as a vegetarian entree. I might add apples to the onions and curry and definately eggplant for the texture. Great meal for yet another cold Colorado January day.

No comments: